Massage can be a great addition to your baby’s routine, with benefits for both you and him. Some of the many benefits of baby massage include:
- Can enable babies to affirm their bond with their parents, older siblings, grandparents and other primary caregivers.
- Massage relaxes the muscles and enables your baby to breathe deeper which helps with readiness for sleep.
- Massage stimulates the Vagus Nerve in the body. This nerve helps with digestion, improved bowel movement plus helps to regulate the nervous system.
- Babies who are regularly massaged can become calmer and less fussy.
- Massage is a great way to offer ‘tummy time’.
An added benefit of baby massage is that it can help parents as well by:
- Boosting confidence when handling a newborn.
- Reducing parent stress.
- Increasing a Parent’s recognition of their baby’s needs through this intimate touch.
As the proud parents of a newborn, you may want to massage your baby, but find you do not have time to include it in your baby’s routine for the first little while. That’s okay.
When your schedule shifts a bit, and you’re ready to try, be sure that your baby isn’t too tired before you begin as this could cause him to become upset rather than to feel relaxed.
You can begin to establish healthy sleep habits early on in your baby’s life, but trying to fit your new baby into a tight, fixed schedule too soon can bring much stress and frustration. Same goes with adding massage when you’re both not quite ready or you don’t have the time.
Take your time and enjoy the process.